05:45 19 July in Our Moving Advice! by beckleys
Before we outline the Pros and Cons there are a few questions that needed to be answered about your removal. These are:
1) How big is your house?
2) How much is there to move?
3) Will it require a truck, or just a ute?
4) Do I have any breakable items or items that I definately don’t want damaged?
5) What is the access like at both the old location and the new?
Once these questions have been answered you may already be leaning toward either DIY removal or using Professional Removalists. For example… If you answered that you have a big house, lots to move, some breakable items and tricky access, then I would suggest it is a job for the professionals. But let’s look at the Pros and Cons of both anyway!
DIY Removal (I’m sure you have a mate who has a ute that could lend it to you or you could even look to hire a truck).
– Can save money on labour costs because you (and family / friends) are doing the manual labour.
– Can hire a truck or borrow a ute and spread the removal over a whole weekend taking your time.
– Can look after the fragile items yourself and keep them safe and in your own control.
– Hiring a truck or ute can be expensive if you have it for too long.
– Fuel costs can add up if due to the small size of the truck or ute multiple trips are involved.
– Securing the load and packing all items safely is a skill that not everyone has. If not done properly your possessions could end up broken or sitting in the middle of the highway!
– Friends and family enthusiastically volunteer to help only to pull out on you at the last minute.
– Injury can happen due to not knowing the correct lifting techniques and maybe not being conditioned to this type of manual labour.
– Once the items are moved, you need to still have the energy to unpack!
– All the correct equipment will be on hand. eg: Trolleys, Straps, Pad (blankets), ramps and of course the appropriate sized truck or van.
– Removalists are time efficient due to their experience. There is less time securing items down or negotiating doorways, because they know what they are doing!
– Less energy and stress on you during the moving. This saves your energy for the unpacking.
– Your removal is over in a few hours or up to one day depending on the size. With experienced removalists no domestic removal should take over 1 day. So you can enjoy your weekend!
– Can save you money compared to the DIY option. The DIY option can seem like the cheaper one but money, time and energy do add up.
– You are not owing your friends and family a favour for helping you out. Ha!
– Can be expensive if you are only after 1 or 2 items moved.
– Busy removalists may not always be available on your ideal moving day and time.
Although hiring/borrowing a ute or tuck and getting some mates over to help you seems like a fun and cheap option, it is amazing how quickly during the move people wish they had of got the professionals in. Our suggestions is to get the best price you can and leave it the removalists. Your friends and family will thank you too!!